Corvette Sting Ray
Documented Top Flight Corvette Sting Ray Roadster L89 427/435 HP V8 M21 4 Speed
- Original 427 cubic inch L89 V8 / 435 horsepower
- Correct off-road exhaust
- Original Muncie M21 4-speed manual transmission
- Correct Posi-traction differential / Correct 3.70 gears
- Correct F41 Special Performance Suspension
- Correct 4-wheel power disc brakes
- Original body / Correct Silverstone Silver paint
- Correct Black interior
- Fully documented California car
- Winner of the NCRS Top Flight Award / Winner of the NCRS Second Flight Award
* Fully documented California car
* Winner of the NCRS Top Flight Award / Winner of the NCRS Second Flight Award
* Original 427 cubic inch L89 V8 / 435 horsepower
* Original Muncie M21 4-speed manual transmission
* Original body / Correct Silverstone Silver paint
* Correct Black interior
* Sale includes: An original Tank Sticker / An original Window Sticker / An oiriginal Purchase Order / The car's NCRS Awards
* Correct F41 Special Performance Suspension / Correct 4-wheel power disc brakes
* Correct Posi-traction differential / Correct 3.70 gears
* Correct off-road exhaust
If you're looking for a world-class Corvette to add to your collection, the numbers don't get much better than this investment grade C3. As a fully-documented, numbers-matching California car, it wraps original, largely unrestored aesthetics around an original L89 427, an original Muncie 4-speed and a roster of impressive options. What's more: in addition to earning NCRS Top Flight honors, the car carries its original tank sticker and original window sticker among a substantial stack of paperwork. If you're series about authentic Corvettes, this impressive Stingray belongs in your garage!
Since we're talking numbers, options and originality, here's a short summary of this Chevy's most impressive highlights.
* California car completely documented from new
* Original, numbers-matching drivetrain
* Original body
* Replacement windshield
* Original side and back glass
* Earned the NCRS Top Flight Award
* A01: Tinted glass
* A31: Power windows
* F41: Special Performance Suspension
* J50: Power brakes
* L71: 427 cubic inch Turbo Jet V8 that produces 435 horsepower
* N11: Off-road exhaust
* G81: Posi-traction axle that's complete with 3.70 gears
* K66: Full transistorized ignition
* M21: Muncie 4-speed close-ratio transmission
* PT7: F70x15 white stripe tires
* Alternator ID Stamp: 1100696
* Correct according to the Corvette Black Book
* Holley Carburetor numbers: 2300 3902353 (Front & rear) / 2300 3940929 (Center)
* Correct according to the Corvette Black Book
* Winters Intake Manifold: 3937797 (Casting)
* Correct according to the Corvette Restoration Guide
* Cylinder Heads: Winters foundry mark present
* Engine: 3916321 (Casting) / T0508IU (Assembly stamp) / Matching partial VIN
* Correct according to the V8 Engine Data Book
* Exhaust Manifolds: 38808829 (Casting)
* Correct according to the V8 Engine Data Book
* Master Cylinder: 29969 (Casting)
* Correct according to the Corvette Forum
All that said; the casual observer would never know just how potent this car really is. Thanks to the Silverstone Silver paint, this C3 stays low-key despite the big numbers under the hood. While the rest of the car is original, the paint is not. The Corvette was given a high quality repaint in 2013. The top coat fronts an all original fiberglass body that shows absolutely no signs of repair. That original look has served the car well on the show circuit. The numerous judging sheets included in the sale rarely deduct anything for the exterior – certainly a key factor in achieving Top Flight status.
The '68 Corvette marked a radical redesign which brought several aspects of the 1965 Make Shark II concept to life. This C3 carries plenty of original pieces to accent its authentic look. To the front, a familiar C3 cross-flag emblem combines with a bright chrome bumper and a small black chin spoiler to frame a natural combination of clear parking lamps and stainless-trimmed grilles. Above that bumper, a scooped, chrome-trimmed, and “427” branded hood sits just beyond the pop-up headlights. The glass presents well, framed by clean stainless and malleable weather-stripping. The side profile hosts amber corner markers at both ends with little more than the traditional Corvette gills and “Stingray” badging finishing off the side view. At the rear, dual round taillights offered some signature styling from their place above a split rear bumper with a chrome-trimmed license plate recess in the center.
Tilt the hood forward to find an impressive centerpiece – the legendary L89 427hp/435ci big block. The foundation is a rare 3916321 casting number block with an A11 (January 11th) casting date. The assembly stamp decodes as T (Tonawanda) 0508 (May 8thh) IU (L89/4spd) while a partial VIN confirms the block's authenticity. The piece is topped by aluminum heads and an aluminum intake with a trio of Holley two-barrel carburetors. While the horsepower gains were marginal over the L71, the weight savings went a long way towards creating a better balanced driving experience. As a California car, this Corvette shipped with a smog system that remains in place today, spinning alongside the alternator while the water pump pairs with a single fan and an OEM radiator to keep the big block cool. The K66 transistor ignition is tucked away under the chrome ignition cover which, when paired with the chrome air cleaner assembly and valve covers, gives the engine compartment a nice finished look. Cast manifolds, correct decals and a host of factory-installed ancillary components do a great job at communicating just how authentic this bay really is.
Shine a light under this Chevrolet and you'll find an unrestored undercarriage complete with rock solid floors and vintage hardware. Behind the big block, the original close-ratio Muncie M21 4-speed still delivers authoritative shifts, authenticated by its May 7, 1968 build date and a matching VIN derivative. From there, power spins down the driveshaft toward a posi-traction axle with versatile 3.70 gears. As tempting as it is to upgrade these cars, the suspension holds steady with its stock F41 suspension. Up front, a double A-arm front suspension absorbs the bumps while an independent rear with lateral leaf springs keeps the rear in check. Push this Corvette through the corners and you'll appreciate the surprisingly light manual steering paired with tough J50 power disc brakes. One unique aspect of the undercarriage is the optional N11 'off-road' exhaust system which looks the same as the standard setup but offers better sound and performance. At the corners, 15-inch rally wheels with 'top hat' centers and beauty rings meet the road through a fresh set of F70-15 Firestone redlines, rounding out the vintage look.
Between the doors, a well-preserved interior offers space for two with plenty of vintage style. At the ground level, nicely aged door sill plates anchor clean black carpet protected by rubber floor mats with the cross-flag emblem. The transmission tunnel is crowned by a tapered console that makes room for heater controls, an ashtray, and a chrome shifter while further back, power window switches frame the emergency brake handle. Slide into the captain's seat to admire the large factory speedometer and tachometer. The duo is supplemented by a group of smaller gauges in the center of the dash that keep an eye on fuel, water temperature, time, oil pressure, and battery output. Below, the original AM/FM radio still pulls signal, voicing those transmissions through a speaker in the dashboard. A three-spoke steering wheel tops a non-adjustable column while a trio of stainless-trimmed pedals hang below, waiting for input. Overhead, removable T-tops open up the space, adding another great feature to an already desirable car.
The car's original window sticker shows it left GM's St. Louis assembly line in the following configuration:
• Silverstone Silver
• 4-speed close-ratio manual transmission
• Aluminum cylinder heads
• Power disc brakes
• AM/FM radio
• Power windows
• Tinted glass
• Full transistor ignition
• Special off-road exhaust system
• F41 Performance Suspension
• F70x15 2-ply white stripe tires
• Posi-traction axle that's fitted with 3.70 gears
• 427 cubic inch Turbo-Jet V8 that creates 435 horsepower
Grand total: $6,308.70
OUR SALE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION
* The car's original Tank Sticker
* The aforementioned Window Sticker
* The car's original Purchase Order
* Copies of vintage titles
* Copies of vintage registrations
* A partial owner history
* Maintenance receipts
* Historical paperwork
* Judging sheets from various shows
* The car's NCRS Second Flight Award
* The car's NCRS Top Flight Award
With its original L89 tri-power 427cid V8, Muncie four-speed manual transmission, killer list of options, and easy-to-live-with interior, this is both a fun and comfortable car to own and drive. With countless original pieces and a great vintage look, it's also a great conversation starter with a very bright future in the collector marketplace. Early C3 lines are some of the best and this is a great living example of that design. Don't miss the opportunity to add this document L89 Corvette to your collection today!
This vehicle has been sold. Fill out the form below to be contacted by RK Motors when a similar vehicle is available!
$299.00 Dealer Administrative Charge is not included in advertised price. All prices and offers are before state, city and county tax, tag, title and license fees. Out of state buyers are responsible for all state, county, city taxes and fees, as well as title/registration fees in the state that the vehicle will be registered. Dealer not responsible for errors and omissions; all offers subject to change without notice, please confirm listings with dealer.
You May Also Be Interested In
Corvette Callaway SC606$67,900
Corvette Sting Ray$169,900
Corvette Sting Ray$109,900
What Customers Are Saying
Some large branded car dealers could learn a lot from you guys on how to treat a customer and close the deal without the painful game that follows when you are just trying to buy a vehicle. Finally, a special thanks to you for priority you placed on closing this deal in record time. also a thanks out to Greg Smith for taking the lead on getting the truck to my location. he also is very good a making it happen versus just talking about what could happen.
Most of my car friends know about RK Motors and the high level of vehicles you offer at much less than anyone could build the same vehicle. going forward I will promote that the people & process are at the same level as the vehicles that RK Motors offers.