Corvette Sting Ray
MacKay Certified Triple Crown Winning Corvette Sting Ray Roadster 427 V8 4 Speed
- Original 427 cubic inch L36 V8
- Original Muncie 4-speed manual transmission
- Correct power 4-wheel disc brakes
- Authentic 'knock-off' wheels
- Original no-hit body / Correct Rally Red paint
- Correct Black vinyl interior
- Fully documented
- 1,200-hour body-off restoration completed in 2008
- Winner of multiple national awards
- Listed in the Triple Crown Registry
No matter what or why you collect, there's no denying the blue chip appeal of mid-year Corvettes. And while Corvette culture may have started with small block offerings, it's the brand's big block cars that have ALWAYS commanded buyers' utmost respect. At the top of the pyramid is Chevrolet's coveted, 427-powered Sting Ray roadster. And this fully documented roadster, a Triple Crown award winner that's claimed top honors from NCRS, Bloomington and Chevy/Vettefest, is a highly exclusive classic that wraps a numbers-matching drivetrain in a highly desirable color combination. Whether you're in the market for one of the coolest Corvettes ever made, or just an outstanding muscle car, here's a Main Street centerpiece that can fulfill your lifelong dreams!
Bolted together at GM's storied St. Louis manufacturing facility, and delivered to John Gary Woods of Buffalo, New York, this Rally Red C2 is the kind of classic that literally defines the word “ultimate”. In early 2007, the car was subjected to a 1,200-hour restoration that resulted in better-than-factory aesthetics. That body-off rebuild began with original, never-hit fiberglass being stripped completely bare and carefully freed from 40 years of weathering and imperfections. When that glass was equal parts smooth and solid, a correct coat of GM code 974 2-stage was dressed in new vinyl and decked in fresh brightwork. And roughly a year later, the car began its rightful march to Triple Crown greatness!
It's hard not to notice a second generation Corvette, especially in a spectacular coat of Rally Red paint. And this drop-top's original 390 horsepower, 427 cubic inch big block will ensure the car is both seen AND heard! At the top of the Chevy Orange block, a familiar Holley carburetor rides between a chrome, correctly decaled air cleaner and familiar stainless fuel line. Below that carburetor, an old school Holley intake funnels a perfect air/fuel mixture in to tough, cast iron heads that are capped by traditional steel valve covers. When the juice hits the cylinders, reliable, chrome-capped ignition sparks fresh, stainless-sleeved wires while a stock cam and rotating assembly push spent gases through restored exhaust manifolds. Cooling for that fire is provided by a beefy radiator, which hangs in front of pliable GM hoses and reproduction tower clamps. Aesthetically, this Chevy's tidy engine compartment is exceptionally well done, framing a correct alternator, fresh brake booster and lively Delco-topped battery in clean, Satin Black fenders. And naturally, the exclusive mill fronts a correct 3869942 casting number and May (E) 19th (19), 1966 (6) casting date with a correct 427/4-speed (IL) suffix stamp and a matching partial VIN.
Not surprisingly, the bottom of this pavement-pounding Vette is solid, clean and ready to roll. Behind the awesome big block, a familiar Muncie 4-speed sports a correct 3885010 casting number, a Muncie (P) assembled on June (06) 1st (01), 1966 build stamp and a matching partial VIN. That tough transmission twists a stout rear end that's fitted with high performance gears. Turns come courtesy of an old school manual steering rack. Power 4-wheel disc brakes provide solid, confident stops. The big engine funnels spent gases through rowdy, some parts-original side pipes. Solid, unvarnished floors perfectly complement a straight, Satin Black chassis. And all that reliable hardware rolls on authentic knock-off wheels, which twist correct 7.75-15 Goodyear Power Cushion goldlines.
Open this C2's tossable doors and you'll find a correct Black interior that appears to have been completely replaced during the car's body-off rebirth. Seating comes courtesy of firm vinyl thrones, which are anchored between fresh belts, correct optional headrests and a small console that's centered on a fully functional shifter. From the driver's perch, a traditional clock and Delco AM/FM radio ride between rebuilt gauges and an aluminum-trimmed glove box. Below that dash, like-new carpet balances color-keyed floor mats amid fresh stainless sills. Above those sills, chrome-trimmed door panels hang monochromatic accents between small armrests and traditional handles. In front of the driver, a classy Teak steering wheel laps a brilliant cross-flag emblem. And behind the passengers, a fully carpeted storage compartment boasts enough room for a picnic basket and some detailing supplies.
When it comes to a Corvette of this caliber, provenance is the name of the game. Here's a thorough breakdown of the car's VIN, Trim Tag and Protect-O-Plate.
* 1: Chevrolet Motor Division
* 94: Corvette
* 67: 2-door convertible
* 6: 1966 model year
* S: Assembled in St Louis, Missouri
* XXXXXX: Sequential Production Number
* J08: Assembled on June (J) 8th (08), 1966
* 66: 1966 model year
* 467: Convertible
* S7546: 7,546th (7546) 1966 convertible assembled at GM's St. Louis (S) manufacturing facility
* STD: Black vinyl trim
* 974AA: Rally Red paint
* STD: Black vinyl interior
* 974: Rally Red paint
* 194676SXXXXXX – The car's VIN
* -- 1: Chevrolet Motor Division
* -- 94: Corvette
* -- 67: 2-door convertible
* -- 6: 1966 model year
* -- S: Assembled in St Louis, Missouri
* -- XXXXXX: Sequential Production Number
* H: Equipped with a Holley carburetor
* T0526ILH – The car's engine stamp
* -- T: Assembled in Tonawanda, New York
* -- 0526: Assembled on May 26th, 1966
* -- IL: 427 cubic inch L36 V8 that's teamed with a 4-speed manual transmission
* -- H: Holley intake manifold
* FA0531W – The car's rear axle code
* -- FA: Posi-traction axle that teams 3.70 gears with a 427/4-speed drivetrain
* -- 0531: Assembled on May 31st, 1966
* -- W: Assembled in Warren, Michigan
* G – Car was assembled in June of 1966
* P0601 – The car's transmission code
* -- P: Muncie 4-speed
* -- 0601: Assembled on June 1st, 1966
Every once in a while we find a show worthy classic that's literally at the top of its game. Here's a short list of this Corvette's major accomplishments:
* Triple Crown Award (November of 2008)
* Chevy/Vettefest Gold Spinner Award (November of 2008)
* Bloomington Gold Certification (June of 2008)
* NCRS Top Flight Award (June of 2008)
OUR SALE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION AND ACCESSORIES
* Original factory literature
* An original Owner's Guide
* The aforementioned Protect-O-Plate
* A vintage title and vintage registrations
* Vintage photos of the car
* Restoration photos
* Restoration receipts
* The car's NCRS paperwork
* The car's NCRS judging sheets
* The car's NCRS Top Flight Award
* The car's Bloomington judging sheets
* The car's Bloomington Gold Award
* The car's Triple Crown certificate
* The car's Triple Crown Spinner Award
* Three display boards
With the value of second generation Corvettes locked in a steady climb, finding a pedigreed car that's well restored is a great idea for long-term investment. This world-class, national award winning Sting Ray has the potential to provide one lucky owner with a lifetime of great memories and great gains. So, what are you waiting for? Call your friends at RK Motors Charlotte and claim this incredible C2!
* 1,200-hour body-off restoration completed in 2008
* NCRS Top Flight Award / Bloomington Gold certified
* Chevy/Vettefest Gold Spinner Award / Listed in the Triple Crown Registry
* Original 427 cubic inch L36 V8
* Original Muncie 4-speed manual transmission
* Original no-hit body / Correct Rally Red paint
* Correct Black vinyl interior
* Sale includes: Original Protect-O-Plate / Ownership documents / Restoration photos & receipts
* Sale includes: NCRS provenance / Bloomington provenance / Triple Crown provenance
* Correct power 4-wheel disc brakes / Authentic 'knock-off' wheels
You May Also Be Interested In
Corvette Sting Ray$119,900
Corvette Sting Ray$89,900
What Customers Are Saying
I have the unique experience of buying and also selling a car from RK Motors.
It is very difficult and risky to evaluate a car on-line. I have heard many stories about people buying on-line and the cars did not turn out as advertised. This is where RK Motors works very hard to represent their cars as accurately as possible. They also do a great job of marketing their cars.
Their pictures give you the ability to look at details on any part of the cars you feel necessary. They are also willing to answer any questions you have as accurately as possible. They removed the all the doubt for me to purchase one of their cars.
I visited their showroom which is filled with high-level cars. Their sales staff were very professional and answered as many questions as they could for me.
When I decided to sell my car, I called RK and ask them how we could do this. They were very helpful and lead me step by step through this process. The thing that impressed me most was even though I purchased the car from them, they would not take my word on the quality of the car. Only after they did their evaluation were we able to finalize our deal. They took all new pictures and did a great job of marketing my car. They were able to sell my car quickly and kept me well informed through the entire process. We answered any questions the new owner had hopefully he will enjoy his car as much as I did.
I would highly recommend RK Motors to anyone buying or selling their cars.