National Award Winning Bonneville 5 Window Coupe 355 V8 Tri-Power 5 Speed
- 355 cubic inch Chevrolet V8 / Tri-power carburetion
- Borg Warner T5 5-speed manual transmission
- Ford 9-inch rear axle / 3.89 gears
- Custom suspension
- Super Bell Super Stoppers front disc brakes
- Wheelsmith steel wheels / MQQN discs
- Modified Downs fiberglass body / Buick Magic Red paint / Painted pinstripes and graphics
- Custom ultraleather interior / Secret Audio sound system
- Build completed in 2013
- Winner of multiple national awards / Featured in multiple publications
* Build completed in 2013
* Winner of multiple national awards / Featured in multiple publications
* 355 cubic inch Chevrolet V8 / Tri-power carburetion
* Borg Warner T5 5-speed manual transmission
* Modified Downs fiberglass body / Buick Magic Red paint / Painted pinstripes and graphics
* Custom ultraleather interior / Secret Audio sound system
* Ford 9-inch rear axle / 3.89 gears
* Custom suspension / Super Bell Super Stoppers front disc brakes
* Wheelsmith steel wheels / MQQN discs
* Sale includes restoration receipts and copies of the car's various magazine features
Watching show stopping customs roll through our RK Motors Charlotte showroom never gets old. But sometimes we get the feeling that the modern street rod movement has become more about show and less about go. After all, hot rod culture started with guys who drove their cars out of necessity, but raced them on dry lakes, dirt tracks and drag strips out of desire. And that desire to continually push the boundaries of both performance and appeal spawned legendary events like Pikes Peak and the Mexican Road Race. Inspired by '60s salt flat cars, and built as a pro-touring mix of streetability and performance, this razor-sharp Ford is a direct result of what happens when a roster of top notch components meets years of specialized labor. And if you're a discerning rodder who's looking for a car with a little more substance than chrome and bright paint, it's your one-way ticket to bigger and better things!
Built from the ground up, this awesome custom's solid fuselage began life as high quality Downs fiberglass that Classic Restorations' Bob Eastman carefully sanded, structured and streamlined into a 3-inch chopped and 2.5-inch channeled race rod. Once that resin was completely smooth, it was bathed in a vivid coat of Buick Magic Red 2-stage. With that glossy pigment buffed, tasteful pinstripes, traditional window numbers and painted Mr. Horsepower mascots reinforced the car's vintage racer motif. And today, with nary a ripple or misaligned panel anywhere, this positively evil Ford mixes enough utility to hush old school skeptics with enough polish to be front row at the local car show!
A clever descriptor for this slicked off coupe might be “blatantly unique”. That's because, even though the car makes excellent use of very traditional modifications, it does so in an era of oddly conservative street rodding. At the front of the car, a 2-inch pinched Jim Mann nose hangs a handmade grille between modern halogen headlights. Behind that grille, a louvered hood leads the eye to smoked glass that's sealed between a custom cowl vent, a chrome windshield frame and an electric windshield wiper. At the sides of that hood, traditional suicide doors hang traditional bear claw hinges behind classy handles and a small driver's mirror. And at the back of the car, a locking trunk reflects a simple bumper, requisite window decals and bright LED taillights.
Great looks are only one part of this slick coupe's broad appeal; it also does a very good job of going fast! Gaze in to the car's aluminum nosepiece and you'll find a 350 cubic inch Chevrolet small block that's been bored .030 over and fully rebuilt. At the top of that sturdy 355, polished and louvered air cleaners funnel wind in to proven Rochester carburetors and a lightweight Offenhauser intake. Below that intake, familiar double hump heads seat 1.94 valves under polished breathers and finned and polished valve covers. At the back of those covers, an electronic Mallory distributor sequences spark between a dressed coil and pliable plug wires. Below those wires, a reliable hydraulic cam heats ceramic-coated block hugger headers. At the front of those headers, a simple V-belt spins a modern alternator. In front of that alternator, a beefy aluminum radiator fronts a big electric puller fan. And, as with any expertly built custom, the car's narrow, body-matched engine bay is fully sorted and ready to show.
With its exceptionally high power-to-weight ratio, completely modern components and dropped stance, this Ford is an absolute blast to drive! Behind the hot small block, a tough Centerforce clutch kicks a Borg Warner T5 5-speed, which twists torque through a custom Action Machine driveshaft. At the end of that shaft, a powder-coated Ford 9-inch spins big, 3.89 gears. That proven rear end funnels power through a modern 4-bar suspension that's fitted with smooth QA-1 coil-overs. That fully sorted clip drives a dropped front-half that's comprised of custom hairpins, a traditional I-beam and a chrome POSIES SuperSlide spring. That suspension rolls in a powder-coated chassis that, in addition to 2-inch pinched rails, features rounded ends, tubular cross members and a 2-inch stretched wheelbase. Stops come courtesy of traditional drums and polished Super Bell Super Stoppers. The aforementioned headers jettison spent gases through polished stainless tips, large-diameter pipes and Smithy's glasspack mufflers. Torque meets the pavement through traditional Wheelsmith steelies, which spin smooth MQQN discs inside two 195/65R15 Firestones and two 235/75R16 Firestones. And the car's lightly undercoated floors frame high quality ancillaries like stainless fluid lines and a finned and polished oil pan.
As you probably know, actual salt flat racers were pretty spartan. But this classic was built as more than just some weekend speed machine. Pop the doors and you'll find a custom ultraleather interior that was installed by Bohdes Custom Auto Interior of Ligonier, Indiana. At ground level, square-weave carpet balances color-keyed floor mats at the sides of a MQQN-topped shifter. Above that shifter, a steel dash hangs a full array of Classic Instruments gauges behind billet knobs, ornate pinstripes and an engine-turned instrument panel. Seating is provided by a modified Ford Ranger bench, which tucks tight pleats beneath simple lap belts. Above that seat, a custom headliner centers a small dome lamp behind a small rearview mirror. In front of the driver, a speed-drilled steering wheel laps an Everlasting turn signal switch. At the sides of the passengers, custom door panels hide modern power windows behind chrome handles and body-matched frames. Behind the cockpit, a surprisingly large trunk fronts a 14-gallon, aluminum fuel tank. And conveniences like double insulation, American Autowire wiring, a Secret Audio sound system and a Sky Drive GPS speedometer make the most of cross-country treks.
Despite gracing the street rod scene for only two years, this Ford packs an impressive history of accolades.
* Award winner at the Goodguys Indy Nationals
* Award winner at the NSRA Hot Rod Nationals North
* Named to Street Rodder Magazine's 2014 Top 100
* Featured in the November, 2014 edition of NSRA Street Scene Magazine
* Featured in the February, 2015 edition of Car Kulture DeLuxe Magazine
* Featured in the April, 2015 edition of NSRA Street Scene Magazine
* Featured in the April, 2015 edition of Street Rodder Magazine
OUR SALE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION
* A stack of restoration receipts
* A pile of component manuals
* A letter documenting the car's 2014 Painless Performance Street Rodder Top 100 award
* A copy of the car's November, 2014 NSRA Street Scene Magazine feature
* A copy of the car's February, 2015 Car Kulture DeLuxe Magazine feature
* A copy of the car's April, 2015 NSRA Street Scene Magazine feature
* A copy of the car's April, 2015 Street Rodder Magazine feature
* A 2016 Pin Up calendar featuring the car
Very few street rods possess the reliable, well-rounded performance to back up their extravagant style. But you're looking at a literal rebirth of the race rod, and when your foot hits the floor, that's exactly what you'll get! Tired of all the run-of-the-mill-red hot rods you see everywhere? Want to go look good AND go fast? Don't miss your chance to land this one-of-a-kind custom!