Five Times Olds National First Place Frame Off Restored 442 400 V8 4 Speed PS
- Original 400 cubic inch Rocket V8 / Rare UHV ignition system
- Original Muncie 4-speed manual transmission
- 10-bolt rear axle / 3.42 gears
- Factory heavy-duty suspension
- Factory power steering / Factory power front disc and rear drum brakes
- Styled Steel wheels
- Correct Spanish Red paint
- Correct Black interior
- 5-time Olds Club of America Olds Nationals winner / 2-time 1000 out of 1000 points winner
- AACA Senior National First Prize recipient
* 5-time Olds Club of America Olds Nationals winner / AACA Senior National First Prize recipient
* Original 400 cubic inch Rocket V8 / Rare UHV ignition system
* Original Muncie 4-speed manual transmission
* Correct Spanish Red paint / Correct Black interior
* Sale includes the car's original New Car Order form and a binder of restoration photos
* Sale includes all of the car's Olds Nationals judging sheets and its AACA plaque
* Factory power steering / Factory power front disc and rear drum brakes
* 10-bolt rear axle / 3.42 gears
* Styled Steel wheels
* Factory heavy-duty suspension
It's a real shame that so many enthusiasts overlook Oldsmobile when shopping for an awesome classic. Big block Chevelles and aggressively styled GTOs seem to be naturals when it comes to muscle car wish lists. But, in reality, GM's 'more proper' divisions created some of the nastiest stoplight warriors ever unleashed on American streets. Oldsmobile, the General's humble technology division, definitely did its fair share to glorify the rise of Detroit. And this 5-time Olds Nationals champion is a prime example of their much lauded 'bar brawler in a tuxedo' sales mentality. Featuring a numbers-matching drivetrain, an intense Spanish Red on Black color combination and an impressive rotisserie restoration, this Olds is one of the coolest A-Bodies on the planet! And if you're looking for a solid, road-ready classic that'll turn heads and bring home trophies, it's your round-trip rocket ride to the moon!
Given its mid June build date, workers at GM's Lansing, Michigan production facility undoubtedly drifted to thoughts of summertime fun as this rich coupe rolled down their assembly line. With a striking combination of modernist appeal and open road prowess, it's virtually impossible to picture this classy Olds in anything other than a happy, sunny landscape. Not long ago the car benefitted from a detailed, rotisserie restoration, during which its original sheetmetal was stripped, patched and aligned to better-than-factory condition. A correct layer of Spanish Red base was sealed in modern clear and buffed to an admirable shine. And today, this sweet 442 is a razor-sharp muscle car that intimidates like a cruise missile and shines like the family's best silver.
Hoist the car's mirrored hood and you'll find a correct and equally rare 400 cubic inch Rocket V8, which is branded with a 442-specific 390925E casting number and “V224517G” assembly stamp. Since pre-68 Rocket blocks are devoid of VIN stamps, we can use that assembly code, which translates as 400 cubic inch (V) high compression (G) engine number 224517, to validate this coupe's status as a real-deal, numbers-matching 442. Professionally rebuilt and fully detailed, the hot V8 is a super-efficient wedge head design that utilizes a standard stroke and undersquare bore to create stout 10.5 to 1 compression, 350 horsepower and 440 lb./ft. of stump-pulling torque. Stomp the throttle and a big Rochester Quadrajet mixes juice from new stainless fuel lines with wind that's supplied by a chrome, correctly decaled air cleaner. At the sides of that carb, correct “C” branded heads hang above correct, cast iron exhaust manifolds, which make quick work of spent gases. And at the back of those heads, a correct red cap distributor sequences spark between high quality Packard TV R Suppression Cables and a rare UHV ignition system. Aesthetically, this Oldsmobile's Satin Black fenders and correct Bronze block look fantastic against their vivid red shell. And the entire engine bay, from its pliable hoses and Delco master cylinder to its correct alternator and tagged Delco battery, features a clean, factory-spec appearance.
The bottom of this awesome 442 is completely solid, showing no signs of undue wear or question-inducing battle scars. The aforementioned Rocket 400 fronts a rugged 4-speed that's branded with a correct 3885010 casting number and Muncie (P) assembled on February (B) 7th (07) 1967 (7) build stamp. That proven transmission sends power to a stout 10-bolt that's equipped with moderate, 3.42 gears. That driveline hangs in a tagged heavy-duty suspension, which includes better shocks, thicker coil springs, reinforced control arms and a mandatory rear sway bar. Power-assisted discs and drums provide braking, while turns come courtesy of factory power steering. At the center of the car, aluminized pipes funnel spent gases through buff DynoMax mufflers and chrome-trimmed exhaust tips. And Styled Steel wheels spin F70-14 Firestone Wide Oval Super Sport redlines around rocket-branded center caps.
Inside this impressive Olds, you'll find a correct Black interior that's both comfortable and appealing. At the center of the car, stainless-trimmed seats ride on fresh black carpet that's protected by “OLDSMOBILE” branded floor mats. At the sides of those seats, clean door panels center modernist armrests in bright chrome handles and straight stainless trim. A warp-free dash hangs an old school pushbutton radio beside restored factory telemetry. At the base of that dash, an optional console frames a stylish Hurst 442 shifter. In front of the driver, a chrome-trimmed steering wheel laps a tilting column. And behind the passengers, a fully restored trunk anchors a fifth Styled Steel wheel and fifth redline tire between clean decals, a correct jack and a fresh mat.
If you've made it this far, you know this Oldsmobile is really something special. And, apparently the show scene seems to agree. Here's a list of the car's major accolades.
* First Place at the 2009 Oldsmobile Club of America Olds Nationals (995 out of 1000 points)
* First Place at the 2010 Oldsmobile Club of America Olds Nationals (995 out of 1000 points)
* First Place at the 2012 Oldsmobile Club of America Olds Nationals (1000 out of 1000 points)
* First Place at the 2013 Oldsmobile Club of America Olds Nationals (1000 out of 1000 points)
* First Place at the 2014 Oldsmobile Club of America Olds Nationals (998 out of 1000 points)
* Awarded an Antique Automobile Club of America Senior National First Prize (2013)
Given its history of awards, there's no doubting the quality of this impressive 442's restoration. But, for good measure, here's a basic breakdown of the car's VIN and cowl tag.
* 3: Oldsmobile Motor Division
* 38: Cutlass Supreme V8
* 17: 2-door Holiday coupe
* 7: 1967 model year
* M: Assembled in Lansing, Michigan
* XXXXXX: Sequential production number
* 06B: Assembled during the second (B) week of June (06), 1967
* 67: 1967 model year
* 33817: Oldsmobile (3) Cutlass Supreme V8 (38) 2-door Holiday coupe (17)
* LAN: Assembled in Lansing, Michigan
* 29474: Sequential production number
* 970-B: Black interior that's complete with bucket seats
* RR: Spanish Red paint
OUR SALE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION AND ACCESSORIES
* The car's original New Car Order form
* The car's original Pre-Delivery Inspection and Adjustment Check Sheet
* The car's original warranty booklet
* An original Dealer Technical Bulletin regarding the car's ignition system
* A vintage title
* A binder of restoration photos
* Judging sheets for all five of the car's Olds Nationals victories
* Paperwork for the car's AACA Senior National First Prize
* The car's AACA Senior National First Prize plaque
* Two sets of original keys
* A “1967” tag
Tired of the same old Chevelles and GTOs you can find anywhere, anytime? Then take a close look at this award-winning 442! Fully restored and ready to roll, it's a super cool classic that's poised to turn heads and win fans. Whether you're an emphatic Oldsmobile collector, or a serious muscle car aficionado who just wants something a little different, this cool A-Body is the perfect investment!