- 2,561 original miles
- Unrestored survivor
- W72 400 V8
- 4-speed manual transmission
- Mirror-tinted T-tops
- Pontiac Historic Services documentation
It seems many people are finally starting to realize something we predicted years ago: late model second generation Pontiac Trans Ams are the tri-five Chevrolets of the 1970's. At RK Motors Charlotte, we have been working very hard to find the BEST examples of F2 Trans Ams in existence and we've provided you with a whole slew of rare, super clean survivor 'birds that simply can't be beat. This all original investment grade 10th anniversary Trans Am Limited Edition is one of only 1,817 cars equipped with the LAST of Pontiacs W72 400 engines and has driven only 2,561 miles in its 32 year existence.
Included with the sale is both Pontiac Historical Services paperwork and a replica window sticker. This documentation can, along with the 10th Anniversary Limited Edition specific VIN and Y89 stamped cowl tag, be used to verify the exclusive status of this 1979 Trans Am. Below, I have provided the cars VIN, decoded its cowl tag and, since the 10th Anniversary Trans Ams were essentially completely optioned cars that were loaded with tons of extras, laid out all of the standard and optional equipment listed by the reproduction window sticker.
* The “X” denotes that this car is an authentic 10th Anniversary Limited Edition Trans Am.
* The "Z" denotes that this car is an authentic W72 Pontiac 400 car.
* 79 - 1979 Model year
* 04C – Built during the third week of April 1979
* 2FS87 - 2: Pontiac Motor Division, FS: Firebird, 87: coupe
* N – Manufactured at GM's Norwood Ohio assembly plant
* 192117 – The cars Fisher Body production number
* 152 – Silver leather interior
* 15L – Platinum Poly lower (L) exterior paint
* 16U – Dark Charcoal upper (U) exterior paint
* L – Lacquer based paint
* A51 - RPO code for bucket seats
* 001 – Unknown
* A31 – RPO code for power windows
* Y89 – RPO code for 10th Anniversary Trans Am
* SIL – Secondary interior color: silver
* 720408 – Fisher Body time and date code.
PONTIAC 10TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION TRANS AM: $10,619.55
* 6.6 LITRE (403 CID) 4 BARREL V8 ENGINE L80
* POWER STEERING
* WINDSHIELD REVEAL MOLDING: BLACK
* REAR WINDOW MOLDING: BLACK
* BUCKET SEATS: SILVER LEATHER
* COLUMN MOUNTED DIMMER SWITCH
* HIGH ENERGY IGNITION SYSTEM
* KILOMETERS/MILES PER HOUR SPEEDOMETER
* CONCEALED WINDSHIELD WIPERS
* SPECIFIC BLACK TAIL LAMPS
* FRONT CENTER AIR DAM & FRONT WHEEL OPENING AIR DEFLECTORS
* REAR WHEEL OPENING AIR DEFLECTORS
* FRONT FENDER AIR EXTRACTORS
* DUAL MUFFLERS & SIDE SPLITTER TAILPIPE EXTENSIONS
* DUAL HORNS
* 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION –OR- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
* PAINT EXTERIOR LOWER: PLATINUM ($00)
* PAINT EXTERIOR UPPER: CHARCOAL GRAY ($00)
* TRIM: LEATHER ($00)
* TRIM INTERIOR: MEDIUM GRAY ($00)
* MEDIUM GRAY APPOINTMENTS ($00)
* HOOD DECAL: SUPER BIRD ($00)
* DECAL GRAPHICS: CHARCOAL ($00)
* L78 6.6 LITRE (400) 4 BARREL V8 ENGINE ($90)
* TRANSMISSION: 4 SPEED MANUAL-CLOSE RATIO ($00)
* LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL ($00)
* CUSTOM AIR CONDITIONING ($00)
* HEAVY DUTY 63 AMP ALTERNATOR ($00)
* HEAVY DUTY BATTERY ($00)
* CUSTOM COLOR KEYED BELTS ($00)
* CONSOLE ($00)
* REMOTE CONTROL DECKLID RELEASE ($00)
* ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER ($00)
* RALLY GAUGES WITH CLOCK & I/P TACHOMETER ($00)
* SOFT RAY TINTED GLASS: ALL WINDOWS ($00)
* REMOVABLE SILVER HATCH ROOF ($00)
* ADDITIONAL ACCOUSTICAL INSULATION ($00)
* LAMP GROUP: LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT LAMP, GLOVE BOX LAMP & I/P COURTESY LAMP ($00)
* DOME READING LAMP ($00)
* FRONT & REAR FLOOR MATS ($00)
* RIGHT HAND VISOR VANITY MIRROR ($00)
* SPORT MIRRORS: LEFT HAND REMOTE, RIGHT HAND CONVEX ($00)
* POWER ANTENNA ($00)
* POWER DOOR LOCKS ($00)
* POWER WINDOWS ($00)
* DELCO-GM AM/FM STEREO RADIO AND 8 TRACK PLAYER ($00)
* DUAL REAR SPEAKERS ($00)
* STOWAWAY SPARE TIRE ($00)
* LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE: TWO-TONE PAINT (SILVER LOWER, CHARCOAL UPPER) WITH ACCENT STRIPES, RED INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTING & SPECIFIC 10TH ANNIVERSARY LIMTED EDITION DECALS ($00)
* REAR DECK SPOILER ($00)
* FORMULA-LEATHER STEERING WHEEL ($00)
* TILT STEERING WHEEL ($00)
* CRUISE CONTROL DELETE ($103 CREDIT)
* SPECIAL PERFORMANCE PACKAGE: 225/70 WHITE LETTER STEEL BELT RADIAL TIRES, POWER FRONT AND REAR DISC BRAKES, SPECIAL HANDLING PACKAGE & 15 INCH AIR FLOW ALUMINUM WHEELS ($00)
* WHEEL COLOR: GRAY ($00)
* CONTROLLED CYCLE WINDSHIELD WIPERS ($00)
* TUNGSTEN QUARTZ HALOGEN LAMPS ($00)
Assembled at GM's Norwood Ohio manufacturing facility in April of 1979, this super rare limited edition Trans Am was delivered to William J. Scerbo & Sons Pontiac in Parsippany New Jersey. It has been exceptionally maintained throughout its entire life and has never been taken apart or received any major body repairs. Recently, it was repainted in a professional basecoat/clearcoat paint job that exactly duplicates its correct GM code 15 Platinum Poly and GM code 16 Dark Charcoal color scheme and gives the car a slick, factory fresh appearance. Since this Trans Am has never been disassembled, it still displays completely factory accurate panel gaps that look surprisingly good and provide great panel alignment. On top of the glossy and subdued paint, a new set of correct black and red outlining stripes, and anniversary call outs perfectly complement new dealer supplied Daytona 500 pace car side stickers and a menacing five color 'super bird' hood decal which flows seamlessly onto the car's front fenders.
Not as 'loud' as the Gold Special Edition Trans Am and not quite as menacing as the Black Special Edition Trans Am, this silver 10th anniversary car combines typical Pontiac muscle car attitude with a more refined look that was way ahead of its time. Up front, a slick and pliable urethane front bumper houses four pristine headlights above large dual grilles which, while still being instantly identifiable as Pontiacs familiar split grille look, give the car a much more aggressive face. Behind that front bumper, a traditional shaker hood sits in front of a pristine original Soft Ray glass and proudly displays “T/A 6.6” denoting the cars rare and optional W72 Pontiac engine. Behind the windshield, anniversary car exclusive mirror tinted T-tops sit above chrome GM door handles and correct rear wheel air deflectors. On the front fenders, new black and red “Trans Am” decals are sandwiched between 10th anniversary exclusive screaming chicken decals and fender mounted air extractors with metal inserts. At the back of the car, more red and black 10th anniversary exclusive decals hang over showroom fresh blacked out tail lights and correct Firebird exclusive side splitter stainless exhaust tips.
Pop the car's hood and you'll find an all original W72 Pontiac V8 which was actually left over from the 1978 model year when Pontiac had discontinued production of the engine. Thanks to government mandated emissions standards, performance had almost been legislated out of existence, and that left the Trans Am suffering a bit of an identity crisis. By utilizing smaller “6X” heads from a 350 and a revised camshaft, the W72 created higher compression and successfully reversed almost a decade of declining horsepower numbers. At the top of the motor, an original Rochester 4 barrel carburetor sits under the cars awesome shaker scoop and an original HEI distributor sends power to the cylinders through black plug wires. Below that carburetor, original GM corporate blue paint coats the entire block and original exhaust manifolds send exhaust into a high performance factory exhaust system. All the hard parts around the motor, from the belt driven accessories to the brake booster and air conditioning hanging on the fire wall are factory original, as are the decals and signature satin finish chrome valve covers. The car's clean engine bay and hood are covered in a nice coat of GM factory black, and all the belts and hoses appear to be in good working order.
Underneath this Trans Am, a clean and solid 32 year old undercarriage tells the story of excellent caretaking with rock solid floor pans that still display their factory undercoating and a rear end that still maintains its factory chalk mark and maintenance tag. Behind the motor, you'll find an exclusive to the W72 4-speed manual transmission which sends power to the cars original 10 bolt rear end, and a standard WS6 handling package. For 1979, the newly dubbed WS6 package included larger sway bars, better shocks and springs, a tighter steering gear box and newly designed power front and rear disc brakes that, when combined with the cars standard power steering, made for serious handling ability and greatly reduced stopping distances. In the middle of the floor pans, the cars original dual exhaust system still carries original GM mufflers and catalytic converters in front of correct stainless side splitter tips, and all of the cars hardware and bushings appear to be in good shape. Power flows to the pavement through original 225/70 white letter Goodyear Polysteel Radials that are mounted to new for '79 anniversary car exclusive 15 inch 'turbo' style polished aluminum wheels.
Inside this Trans Am, the all original anniversary car exclusive silver leather interior looks fantastic showing hardly any signs of wear at all; and in my opinion it rivals the Ivory laden Chevelles of the late 60s and early 70s as one of GMs best efforts. The firm and comfortable seats are nice metallic silver pieces that have the liquid cool appearance of wet paint, and the original Cadillac supplied shag carpet looks great. Between the seats a clean gray console houses chrome switches for the cars power windows behind a chrome Hurst shifter, and above the seats, a stain free headliner is stretched tight around the cars mirrored tops and optional reading lamps. In front of the driver, an excellent looking engine turned dash houses crystal clear gauges above controls for heat and air conditioning, and an upgraded Delco-GM stereo and cassette player. And if authenticity is your thing, no worries; the car also comes with its original GM-Delco AM/FM stereo and 8-track player as well. At the sides of the seats, awesome silver door panels feature bright anniversary car exclusive embroidery that perfectly matches an anniversary car exclusive emblem in the center of the rear seat. Connecting the driver to the road is a correct aluminum steering wheel that features a gray rim and sits on an optional tilt steering column. Out back, the cars pristine trunk still has its original decals and carries the cars original stowaway spare tire.
Documents included with this sale are: the cars original owner's manual and warranty booklets, an original 10th anniversary owner's packet, paperwork from Pontiac Historical Services, a display board and two reproduction window stickers.
We've featured many of these 10th Anniversary Trans Ams in the past three years, and without exception, they've all sold very quickly. There's a devoted following who knows these are underrated cars, and all original pristine survivors like this one are exceptionally difficult to find. With its all Pontiac motor, hot close ratio 4-speed and four wheel disc brakes, this rare Trans Am is an excellent road car that has a tremendous potential upside. Call now!
This vehicle has been sold. Fill out the form below to be contacted by RK Motors when a similar vehicle is available!
$299.00 Dealer Administrative Charge is not included in advertised price. All prices and offers are before state, city and county tax, tag, title and license fees. Out of state buyers are responsible for all state, county, city taxes and fees, as well as title/registration fees in the state that the vehicle will be registered. Dealer not responsible for errors and omissions; all offers subject to change without notice, please confirm listings with dealer.