Firebird Trans Am 10th Anniversary Edition
2,087 Actual Mile Trans Am 10th Anniversary 400 4 Speed
- Original 400 cubic inch W72 Pontiac V8
- Original Borg Warner T10 4-speed transmission that's complete with a correct aluminum case
- Original WS6 performance suspension
- Factory power four wheel disc brakes
- Factory power steering
- 15 inch 'turbo style' aluminum wheels which come complete with original 225/70 Goodyear tires
- Original Platinum Poly and Dark Charcoal paint that's accented by original outlining stripes and an original 'super bird' hood decal
- Original silver interior
- Factory air conditioning
- Fully documented survivor
Clean, second generation Trans Ams have been on an upward swing for quite some time; and over the past two years, RK Motors Charlotte has sold more late-70s Pontiac F2s than anyone on the planet. Just as we predicted, well-equipped investment grade 'birds have become the next big thing, and collectors and childhood fans alike are taking advantage of both excellent long-term investment opportunities and a rare chance to re-live their youth. This awesome 1979 10th Anniversary Edition is 2,087 mile time capsule which packs a numbers matching W72 Pontiac 400 and an original aluminum 4-speed transmission in an original silver on silver color combination. If the market is any indication ultra-clean, investment grade Trans Ams won't be this affordable for too much longer, so read fast, look quick and don't hesitate to pull the trigger!
Included with the sale of this spotless survivor is an original window sticker that, along with the car's 10th Anniversary Limited Edition specific VIN number, can be used to verify its exclusive status. Below, I've provided the car's VIN and laid out all of the standard and optional equipment listed on its window sticker.
* The “X” denotes that this car is an authentic 10th Anniversary Limited Edition Trans Am.
* The "Z" denotes that this car is an authentic W72 Pontiac 400 car.
* 6.6 LITRE (403 CID) L80 4-BARREL V8 ENGINE
* POWER STEERING
* BLACK WINDSHIELD REVEAL MOLDING
* BLACK REAR WINDOW MOLDING
* SILVER LEATHER BUCKET SEATS
* COLUMN MOUNTED DIMMER SWITCH
* HIGH ENERGY IGNITION SYSTEM
* KILOMETERS/MILES PER HOUR SPEEDOMETER
* CONCEALED WINDSHIELD WIPERS
* SPECIFIC BLACK TAIL LAMPS
* FRONT CENTER AIR DAM & FRONT WHEEL OPENING AIR DEFLECTORS
* REAR WHEEL OPENING AIR DEFLECTORS
* FRONT FENDER AIR EXTRACTORS
* DUAL MUFFLERS & SIDE SPLITTER TAILPIPE EXTENSIONS
* DUAL HORNS
* PLATINUM LOWER EXTERIOR PAINT: $00
* CHARCOAL GRAY UPPER EXTERIOR PAINT: $00
* LEATHER TRIM: $00
* MEDIUM GRAY INTERIOR TRIM: $00
* SUPER BIRD HOOD DECAL: $00
* CHARCOAL DECAL GRAPHICS: $00
* L78 6.6 LITRE (400 CID) 4-BARREL V8 ENGINE: $90
* 4-SPEED MANUAL CLOSE RATIO TRANSMISSION: $00
* LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL: $00
* CUSTOM AIR CONDITIONING: $00
* HEAVY DUTY 63 AMP ALTERNATOR: $00
* HEAVY DUTY BATTERY: $00
* CUSTOM COLOR KEYED BELTS: $00
* SILVER SEATBEALTS: $00
* CONSOLE: $00
* REMOTE CONTROL DECKLID RELEASE: $00
* ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER: $00
* RALLY GAUGES WITH CLOCK & I/P TACHOMETER: $00
* SOFT RAY TINTED GLASS: ALL WINDOWS: $00
* REMOVABLE SILVER HATCH ROOF: $00
* ADDITIONAL ACCOUSTICAL INSULATION: $00
* LAMP GROUP (LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT LAMP, GLOVE BOX LAMP & I/P COURTESY LAMP): $00
* DOME READING LAMP: $00
* TUNGSTEN HALOGEN HIGH BEAM LAMPS: $00
* FRONT & REAR FLOOR MATS: $00
* RIGHT HAND VISOR VANITY MIRROR: $00
* SPORT MIRRORS (LEFT HAND REMOTE, RIGHT HAND MANUAL): $00
* POWER ANTENNA: $00
* POWER DOOR LOCKS: $00
* POWER WINDOWS: $00
* DUAL REAR RADIO SPEAKERS: $00
* STOWAWAY SPARE TIRE: $00
* LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE (TWO-TONE PAINT -- SILVER LOWER, CHARCOAL UPPER -- WITH ACCENT STRIPES, RED INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTING & SPECIFIC 10TH ANNIVERSARY LIMTED EDITION DECALS: $00
* REAR DECK SPOILER: $00
* FORMULA LEATHER STEERING WHEEL: $00
* TILT STEERING WHEEL: $00
* SPECIAL PERFORMANCE PACKAGE (225/70 WHITE LETTER STEEL BELTED RADIALS, POWER FRONT AND REAR DISC BRAKES, SPECIAL HANDLING PACKAGE & 15 INCH AIR FLOW ALUMINUM WHEELS): $00
* GRAY WHEEL COLOR: $00
* CONTROLLED CYCLE WINDSHIELD WIPERS: $00
* CRUISE CONTROL DELETE: $103 credit
* TUNGSTEN QUARTZ HALOGEN LAMPS: $00
* DELCO-GM AM/FM STEREO RADIO WITH EIGHT TRACK TAPE PALYER: $00
* MEDIUM GRAY INTERIOR TRIM: $00
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $10,619.55
Destination Charge: $104
Vehicle Total: $10,710.55
Assembled at GM's Van Nuys, California manufacturing facility in April of 1979, this all-original 10th Anniversary Edition Trans Am was delivered across the country to Jack W. Haupt Pontiac in Clarkston, Michigan. Since leaving its mid-west showroom, the car has been exceptionally maintained throughout its entire life and has never been taken apart or received any major body repairs. As a result, those solid, original panels still display completely factory accurate panel gaps which look surprisingly good and provide great panel alignment. And today, battle dressed in an original combination of correct GM code 15 Platinum Poly and GM code 16 Dark Charcoal, topped with a slick set of correct black and red outlining stripes, and proudly displaying a menacing five color 'super bird' hood decal, this F2 sits as a highly desirable example of a major milestone in Trans Am history.
Even in its final days, Pontiac remained true to everything that made the muscle car era such a memorable time. And this 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am is one of the best combinations of old school swagger and modern car sophistication to ever roll out of a GM design studio. At the front of the car, a straight and glossy urethane bumper hangs a bright red arrow head and correct black bucket headlights above large dual grilles which create a sculpted, aggressive face. Behind that bumper a “T/A 6.6” branded hood, which denotes the car's rare and highly desirable W72 V8, leads the eye to like-new Soft Ray tinted glass that's complete with both an electric rear window defogger and correct black reveal moldings. At the center of the car, slick mirror-tint T-tops hang over correct sport mirrors and traditional chrome door handles that are complete with correct silver tape stripes. Below those T-tops, striking “Trans Am” call-outs ride between traditional Pontiac fender vents, small 10th anniversary decals and correct fiberglass wheel spoilers. And at the back of the car, a straight D80 decklid hangs a bold “Trans Am” call-out above a factory fresh tail light panel, a crack-free bumper and familiar Firebird side splitter exhaust tips.
Lift this 'birds sinister, silver hood and you'll find a virtually untouched engine bay which houses the final, and some say greatest, Pontiac block ever created: an original 400 cubic inch W72 V8. By utilizing a thicker casting, chrome moly piston rings, a revised camshaft, a better oil pump, a better distributor and smaller '6X' heads from the division's own 350 , the W72 created higher compression and successfully reversed almost a decade of declining horsepower numbers. And not only does this Trans Am's engine carry a correct 176696 partial VIN and a '79 W72/4-speed exclusive PWH stamp, it's also branded with an XX481988 casting number which is found exclusively on Pontiac's beefier W72 blocks. Top dead center is a correct Rochester 4-barrel carburetor, which rides under the car's awesome shaker hood scoop; and a correct HEI distributor, which sends power to the cylinders through replacement silicon plug wires. Below that carburetor, correct GM Corporate Blue paint coats the entire block; and below those plug wires, original cast iron manifolds send spent gases into a high performance factory exhaust system. The car's solid engine bay and hood are covered in a nice coat of familiar GM satin finish. Its original decals are bright and fade-free. And everything from its marked brake booster and Delco air compressor to its fender plenum air tube and satin finish chrome valve covers is in excellent, streetable condition.
Take a look under this pampered F2 and you'll find a straight, rust-free frame which still displays all its original GM satin black paint, and clean, original floors which carry absolutely no defect camouflaging undercoating. Behind the motor, a W72-exclusive Borg Warner T10 aluminum 4-speed, which wears a Warner (W) assembled by the second shift (2) on March ( C) 15th (15) of 1979 (9) build date and a correct 1304065903 casting number, sends power to the car's original 10 bolt rear end and optional WS6 'special performance' suspension package. For 1979, Pontiac's famous WS6 package included larger sway bars, better shocks and springs, a tighter steering gear box and newly designed code J65 power front and rear disc brakes that, when combined with the cars standard power steering, made for serious handling ability and greatly reduced stopping distances. In the middle of that suspension a mostly original dual exhaust system, which appears to have been repaired with factory replacement mufflers and fresh stainless tail pipes, sends a deep Pontiac rumble through spotless stainless side splitter exhaust tips. At the corners of that suspension, flawless 15 inch 'turbo style' aluminum wheels spin beefy 225/70 Goodyear Polysteel Radials around pristine 'red bird' center caps. And overall, this Trans Am's hardware appears to be in great shape throughout, having held up exceptionally well for a 33 year old pony car!
In my opinion, Pontiac's 10th Anniversary Edition cockpit rivals Chevrolet's Ivory laden Chevelles of the late 60s and early 70s as one of GM's best design efforts; and the all-original leather trim inside this car looks fantastic, showing hardly any signs of wear at all. The firm and comfortable seats, which are nice metallic pieces that have the liquid cool appearance of wet paint, ride on original Cadillac-supplied shag carpet and durable rubber floor mats. Between those seats, a clean gray console houses chrome switches for the car's power windows behind a chrome Hurst shifter; and above those seats, a stain-free headliner is stretched tight around mirrored T-tops and optional reading lamps. At the front of the car, an excellent looking engine turned dash hangs crystal clear gauges above controls for heat and air conditioning and an upgraded Delco-GM Stereo Eight cassette player. And at the sides of the car awesome silver panels, which come complete with chrome switches for optional power door locks, feature bright anniversary car embroidery which perfectly matches a sweet 'Screamin' Chicken' logo that's centered on the rear seat. In front of the driver, a pristine Formula steering wheel spins around a correct optional tilt steering column. And behind the passengers, the car's pristine trunk hides an original Stowaway spare tire between clean carpet, a functional courtesy light and original decklid decals.
In addition to the original tags displayed throughout this time capsule Trans Am's interior, the sale also includes the car's original GM order form, the car's original dealer invoice, the car's original dealer stock tag, the original window sticker outlined above, an original fuel economy sticker, all the car's original dealer paperwork, an original title, an original owner's manual, and original warranty books.
This '79 Pontiac isn't some run-of-the-mill dingy survivor, it's a top notch muscle car that's in stunning cosmetic condition and still capable of chewing up the roads all day long! Better yet, it's another excellent opportunity for you to pick up a killer Trans Am for not a lot of money, in a market that's only going up from here. If you're looking for a fun car with the ideal blend of first-rate pedigree, show-quality looks and awesome drivability, pick up the phone now!
You May Also Be Interested In
Firebird Trans Am Super Duty$79,900
Firebird Trans Am SE$179,900
Firebird Trans Am Super Duty$79,900
Firebird Trans Am$99,900
What Customers Are Saying
Some large branded car dealers could learn a lot from you guys on how to treat a customer and close the deal without the painful game that follows when you are just trying to buy a vehicle. Finally, a special thanks to you for priority you placed on closing this deal in record time. also a thanks out to Greg Smith for taking the lead on getting the truck to my location. he also is very good a making it happen versus just talking about what could happen.
Most of my car friends know about RK Motors and the high level of vehicles you offer at much less than anyone could build the same vehicle. going forward I will promote that the people & process are at the same level as the vehicles that RK Motors offers.