Firebird Trans Am Super Duty
National Award Winning 1 of 212 Trans Am Super Duty 455 SD V8 4 Speed
- Original 455 cubic inch Super Duty V8
- Correct Borg Warner 4-speed manual transmission
- Correct WS4 Trans Am suspension
- Factory power steering
- Factory power front disc and rear drum brakes
- 15-inch Rally II wheels
- Correct Cameo White paint / Correct Deluxe Blue interior
- Fully documented / 3-owner car
- Winner of multiple national awards
- Concours restored by Super Duty expert Steve Schappaugh
* Fully documented 3-owner car / Concours restoration completed by Super Duty expert Steve Schappaugh
* Awarded Concours Gold at the 2013 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals / Awarded Class Winner at the 2013 Trans Am Nationals
* Original 455 cubic inch Super Duty V8 / Balanced, blueprinted and rebuilt in 2015
* Correct Borg Warner 4-speed manual transmission / Rebuilt in 2015
* Correct Cameo White paint
* Correct Deluxe Blue interior
* Correct WS4 Trans Am suspension
* Sale includes: PHS paperwork / Certificate and judging sheets from the 2013 MCACN / 2013 TA Nationals documentation
* Factory power steering / Factory power front disc and rear drum brakes
* 15-inch Rally II wheels
By now you've probably realized that RK Motors Charlotte employs quite a few diehard Pontiac fans. I mean, after all, RKMC does attract people who bleed 100 octane racing fuel; and Pontiac, at its core, was completely dedicated to selling outrageous metal to serious gearheads. So naturally, we can't help but melt like a hot tire in a staging lane when we find a car like this investment grade Trans Am Super Duty. A concours-restored national award winner, this numbers-matching Poncho is 1 of only 212 1974 Super Duty coupes equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission. And if you're a Firebird enthusiast who's searching for an exclusive F2 that you can literally purchase and haul straight to the show, it's your chance to become king of the muscle car hill!
Sold new at Mall Pontiac in Dayton, Ohio, and claiming a mere 15,401 original miles, this restoration-fresh Trans Am is simply spectacular. With a 3-owner body that seems to have been fairly straight when the restoration began, it should come as no surprise that panel gaps are excellent and fit feels rock-solid. By the looks of that body's smooth finish, Super Duty expert Steve Schappaugh probably spent weeks blocking and sanding every one of its panel in hopes of forming a laser-straight showpiece. And once those panels' correct coat of Cameo White two-stage was decorated with standard Trans Am call-outs, he definitely accomplished that goal. Today, with unique visual sizzle that's as classy as it is aggressive, this top notch Super Duty is a highly desirable example of a major milestone in Pontiac history!
1974 was a defining year for the Firebird. Sales were brisk and new 'low speed' crash mandates required that the car either be completely redesigned or jump on the bandwagon of hideous and hastily done nose jobs that were creeping into every automaker's showroom. Instead of bowing to cost, Pontiac assembled a talented engineering staff, which managed to blend both functionality and style into the well-integrated profile you see here. At the front of that profile, a 'black bar' nose hangs a standard screamin' chicken emblem between clean headlights, clear parking lamps, familiar Pontiac grilles and a road-hugging spoiler. At the top of that nose, a screamin' chicken hood centers an “SD-455” branded shaker in front of pristine greenhouse glass that's framed in bright stainless trim. At the sides of that hood, conservative door handles and small sport mirrors reflect traditional fender vents and correct fender flares. And at the back of the car, a subtle spoiler highlights clean taillights, chrome exhaust tips and a second 'black bar' bumper.
The heart of any muscle car is its engine, and this Poncho's brawny Super Duty moniker is no misnomer. The largely hand-built SD-455, which features significantly reinforced components, shares little more than a displacement number with its more common brethren. And this car's highly detailed mill, balanced, blueprinted and completely rebuilt in June of 2015 by Ken Maisano Race Engines, complements a correct 490132 casting number with a January (A) 09th (09), 1974 (4) casting date, correct “W8” assembly stamp and matching partial VIN. At the top of the big engine, traditional Trans Am induction funnels fresh wind into a big Rochester carburetor and correct Pontiac intake. That intake sends a high-octane air/fuel mixture into unique, high-flow cylinder heads that are equipped with familiar, stamped steel valve covers. And those heads utilize a roster of high performance internals to create rocket-like acceleration. That acceleration is sparked by a traditional points distributor, which sequences fire through fresh Packard TV R Suppression cables. Spent gases are handled by fully restored exhaust manifolds, which roar into correct, true-dual tail pipes. And heat from that combustion is controlled by a leak-free radiator, which services fresh hoses via new tower clamps and a familiar plastic shroud. Aesthetically, this Trans Am's first class engine bay is 100% ready for show. The mighty mill displays a slick coat of correct Pontiac Turquoise all the way from its intake to its oil pan. The car's fenders, firewall and hood are covered in a smooth layer of GM Satin Black. And niceties such as new decals, new stamps, a Delco battery and a fresh Delco Moraine brake booster can be found in all the right places.
At the bottom of this slick, second generation Firebird, solid floorpans reflect years of easy living. Behind the mega mill, a correct Borg Warner T10 4-speed hangs a familiar 1304065903 casting number below a correct partial VIN. That transmission, fully rebuilt in April of 2015 by Westminster, California's Westminster Transmission, sends power to a sturdy 10-bolt rear end. Below that stellar drivetrain, a rebuilt Trans Am suspension, which includes correct power steering, thicker sway bars, better shocks and stiffer springs, combines with standard issue power front disc and rear drum brakes. And at the center of the car, a Gardner true-dual exhaust system barks out a deep, vintage roar. All this road ready hardware rolls on an attractive set of Pontiac Rally IIs, which spin GR70x15 Goodyear Steegard Radials. And everything under this killer classic is restored, clean and ready to roll.
When it comes to interior décor, Pontiac's 70s team was firing on all eight cylinders. While this coupe's insignia may be considered overkill, and its horsepower rating might seem relatively modest compared to earlier muscle cars, there's no disputing the beauty of its design. The rebuilt custom bucket seats are supple, firm, and look every bit as nice and rich as their name implies. Below those seats, like-new carpet is protected by color-keyed floor mats. And between those seats, a molded console props an enclosed storage bin behind a chrome Hurst shifter and correct Delco radio. At the top of the car, a stain-free headliner stretches tightly between fresh shoulder belts. At the sides of the car, hard to find door panels hang pristine chrome handles between chrome window cranks and full armrests. In front of the driver, a fixed steering column spins a black Formula wheel around an engine-turned instrument panel. And behind the passengers, a fully restored trunk hangs a fresh decklid decal above a full-size spare tire.
Here's a detailed look at this hot coupe's VIN and cowl tag.
* 2: Pontiac
* V: Trans Am
* 87: Sport coupe
* X: 455 cubic inch Super Duty V8
* 4: 1974 model year
* N: Assembled at GM's Norwood, Ohio manufacturing facility
* XXXXXX: Production sequence number
* 74 --- 1974 model year
* 2FS87 --- 2: Pontiac FS: Firebird 87: Two-door coupe
* N --- Assembled at GM's Norwood, Ohio manufacturing facility
* 187788 --- Fisher body unit number
* 581 (ERROR, per PHS) --- Deluxe Blue vinyl interior
* A51 --- Bucket seats
* 11 --- Cameo White lower body
* 11 --- Cameo White upper body
* 04A --- Assembled during the first (A) week of April, 1974
* WS4 --- Trans Am
* BUE --- Blue secondary interior color
* 700001 --- Fisher time date code
Not surprisingly, significant honors back up this F2's “award-winning” claim. Here's a short list of the car's national accolades:
* Concours Gold at the 2013 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals (scoring 990 out of 1000 points)
* Class Winner at the 2013 Trans Am Nationals
OUR SALE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION
* A vintage Owner's Manual
* Pontiac Historic Services documentation
* A Pontiac Historic Services window sticker
* A certificate from the car's win at the 2013 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals
* Judging sheets from the car's win at the 2013 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals
* A flyer documenting the car's win at the 2013 Trans Am Nationals
If your definition of classic Detroit muscle is a highly accurate, beautifully presented, meticulously crafted Pontiac, it's your lucky day! This Trans Am is fast, rare, impressive and very desirable. So, what are you waiting for? Don't miss your chance to take home a world class, investment grade Super Duty!
You May Also Be Interested In
Firebird Trans Am$99,900
Firebird Trans Am Super Duty$79,900
Firebird Trans Am SE$179,900
Firebird Trans Am$99,900
What Customers Are Saying
RK Motors, in my opinion, is the best place to find and buy your high quality dream car or next toy. Their inventory is full of high quality automobiles painstakingly preserved or restored the correct way at very fair prices. I throughly enjoy my automobiles purchased for RK Motors and my friendship with them. I would highly recommend them to anyone as i have to all of my friend, acquaintances and folks who have asked me for recommendations and advice.Mitchell W.